Thursday, October 19, 2006

in which Tim comes to terms with not being able to do everything he wants to do

It's easy, at the beginning of an experience, to make a lot of a grand plans and generally become very excited about all that one will be able to accomplish. This is especially easy for people like me, who tend to bask in the grand vision of things, ocasionally losing sight of the nitty-gritty details that need to be seen to. After achieving this vision and excitement, there very often comes a time (after having dealt with the nitty gritty for a while) when it becomes apparent that the original vision will not be achieved in the exact way it had been imagined it.

Case in point: my current research. We had originally hoped to investigate and write up eight or ten different cases, in depth. After a little more thought and planning, we lowered our goal to six. Now we are discovering the difficulty of trying to do research during Ramazan. Everything closes early. People are hard to get a hold of, and even more hesitant to set up meetings and interviews. Everyone keeps saying "after Eid, after Eid". So we are behind schedule, and the interviews that we have gotten done have not been quite what we had hoped they would be.

I guess it shows the difficulty of this kind of quantitative research, though. People are not like books in the library. You can't go and get them off the shelf whenever you want, page through them, and quote them to your hearts desire. It's a lot more complex, requiring patience and flexibility.


I suppose that's what I'm here for. Not so much to produce incredible research on development programs, but more to learn about how research works in this field. To be exposed to the issues, before I decide which direction to launch my career in. And for that it has been infinitely useful. I am learning so much more than if everything had just gone right.

I just need to work on countering my habit of getting disappointed at not achieving original goals. I think a little bit of disappointment is appropriate. If I didn't let my goals motivate me, what good would it be to set goals in the first place? I just can't allow the dis-satisfaction to cripple me from continuing forward. I must keep thinking ahead, planning, rolling with the punches, and being creative.

Wish me luck.

Wow. I was more self reflective here than I usually am via this medium. Hopefully it's not too boring for you readers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely not boring...i understand completely. most of the time, i forget to set goals, which is WAY worse than your current predicament
as always, i enjoy reading...keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

You're never boring, Tim! I appreciate your honest reflection--it's a very true insight. We always expect to do more within a given timeframe than is humanly possible. But you're doing good work, Tim, I'm sure of that--largely because of your tremendous goals.

We're praying for you!

Christina

Anonymous said...

Correct me if i'm wrong, which I don't think i am, unless there is something i am missing, but your research/interviewing doesn't sound like quantitative research, but rather qualitative. Anyway, thats my two cents, the others covered everything else. Oh, and i heard in the news today about some interim prime minister or president in bangladesh...maybe you can give the inside scoop on what thats all about.