Tuesday, September 19, 2006

in which Tim sets the stage

As I am sure that many of you are frequently checking this blog for updates (and becoming huge fans in the process...), I feel a degree of obligation to share with you a short description of the setting from which my reflections are forwarded to cyber space. I am in a medium sized, rather luxurious (relatively) cyber cafe, on the third floor of an in-door market. I call it an "in-door market", rather than a "shopping mall" because I don't want you to picture me frequenting one of those massive atrocities with shiny floors that feature over priced goods where many Americans choose to do their shopping. This is not like that at all. There ARE many stores, and there IS a roof overhead, but much more crowded, busy, and far better organized. Allow me to explain the organization. Similar merchants tend to group together (stationary stores next to more stationary stores, movie stores next to more movie stores). When I first observed this, I thought it made poor business sense. Isn't that too much competition in too small a place? It didn't fit the model of competition that I am used to seeing. Who ever heard of two grocery stores right next door to each other? Upon further thought, I realized that it works very well for the customer. If the first shop I go to doesn't have exactly what I need, I only need to go next door. Not across the building. If the keeper of one shop is busy, I can just go next door and not have to wait. It's remarkably convenient! I still don't know how well the whole competition thing works, but they seem happy in their business, and Asian economies are the fastest growing ones in the world, so who am I to judge?

This cyber cafe is called "Adda Internet Cafe". They have comfortable chairs, reasonably fast connection, and they play loud Bengali music. The guys who work here have gotten to know me well, as nearly every time I come in I have some strange request that they don't hear very often (plug my laptop in? attach my camera to the computer? connect my vonage box?). Props for customer service. But I think they must like me, since they let me stay until a few minutes after closing to finish whatever blog I happen to be writing, or IM convo etc. Speaking of which, that time is soon, so I should probably wrap this up.

After I log off, I will leave this air conditioned haven to be greeted by the sticky aroma of the city street. I will dodge rickshaws and mini cabs on the two block walk back to my apartment, and maybe give a piece of candy to a beggar kid (I think that's better than giving them money. You never know who may be extorting it out of them. At least they can eat the candy.). Tomorrow is another day. Soon I will write about the research I am beginning to do. It's gonna be exciting. Stay tuned!

No comments: