Wednesday, September 06, 2006

regarding timezones and tater-skins

Hello from London! Well, as close to London as one considers Heathrow airport to be...

My body is very angry at me right now. My body thinks it is 6:30 AM (Wisconsin time), the clock reads 12:30 PM (London time), but I am pretending it is 5:30 PM (Bangladesh time). This whole International travel thing can become extremely confusing if you let it. If it really is 6:30 AM, then I have just managed to successfully stay awake all night long. It helped that I had several moderately entertaining films, as well as my grandmother's book to keep me occupied. I was also helped along by frequent helpings of delicious English tea. British Airways is definitely the way to go.

Upon arriving in England I decided to have a snack. I purchased some delicious tater-skins in a posh little cafe, not realizing that I was miscalculating the exchange rate. Let's just say they didn't taste quite as good after I realized how much I had REALLY paid for them. And there was something not quite right with the sour cream...

On a more serious\reflective note, I am always blown away by the huge amount of commercial activity that takes place in western airports. The duty-free stores here in Heathrow take up a ridiculous amount of space. Looking at the $70 shirts and the $40 neckties I was struck by just how much money really is floating around in the pockets of westerners. It presents a pretty drastic contrast to what I will be seeing in another twelve and a half hours.

Now I think I will do some reading to keep myself awake for a couple more hours. I will try to sleep through most of this next flight.

Let the record show that I have n o i d e a what will happen to me when I land in Dhaka. All I know is that I am looking for a driver holding a sign. Should be interesting...stay tuned for updates. Thanks for the prayers!

No comments: